Thursday, July 10, 2008

Tell it to the Judge


Part of my regular duties at the Bridge include meeting with Probation / Parole officers and attending court appearances. Unfortunately the choices made by people in crisis leave them involved with the legal system. Peter said "Lord, how often shall... I forgive him? Up to seven times?" "Up to seventy times seven", said Jesus (Matthew 18:21-22). Unfortunately our legal system does not allow for this kind of chance or grace. Many people who keep committing the same offense feel that they are trapped in this vicious cycle and some desperately want to get out. This leaves the door wide open to share the Gospel. "Therefore, if any one is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away ; behold, all things have become new."( 2 Corinthians 5:17)


Many times I hear them addressing the Judge telling them of their desire to change. Unfortunately, most if not all programs given to them are secular programs. Christian programs are not looked highly upon .The Bridge has been recognized by several Superior Court judges. I recently had the chance to plead my case that we have great Christ based programs, and they could do a great job addressing the lack of bed space in the county. Hopefully a seed was planted. "..if you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there', and it will move: and nothing will be impossible for you." (Matthew 17:20)

I believe God has placed a calling on my life to raise awareness of Christ based programs. - Mike C.

1 comment:

sarah said...

Hey Dad! Your article turned out great! And I really like the pic that you picked out for the scales. I must say that I enjoyed my very first experience logging on to your blog for the first time. I also liked the 'Bridge Video"! I love you Dad and Michele! It's a real blessing to see how God is using your willingness!
Love Sarah Hoppe